New Year's Eve highlights
A roundup of the best parties, concerts, and specials on New Year's Eve.
By Jess Mayhugh. Posted on December 30, 2010, 4:00 pm
Tomorrow night is New Year's Eve, when everybody scrambles to find some way to ring in the new year. Well, you can relax. Over at Suzanne's In Good Taste blog, she's already listed a bunch of food-centric events going on tomorrow night. And, below, I've spelled out some of the standout nightlife events happening. So, see, we've made it easy for anyone to find the right New Year's event.
- Big Night Baltimore 2011: This hotel mega-party put on by Hi Ball Events and HeidnSeek Entertainment is taking place at the Sheraton City Center. The event includes eight party rooms, open bars, dinner, and entertainment. Music is being provided by '80s band The Reagan Years, Hyjinx, and Betty Ford Dropouts, as well as six DJs. Midnight promises a big balloon drop and toast. Discount rooms at the Sheraton available. Tickets: $99.99, VIP: $149.99.
- Downtown Countdown: Lindy Promotions and Mother's are again putting on the Downtown Countdown at the Hyatt Regency. This year, the theme is "Roots, Rock, Rap, and Reggae," with live performances from the Charm City Devils, Can't Hang, and Tone Loc (yes, the guy from Ace Ventura). There's also a five-hour open bar, dinner buffets, comedy form 98 Rock's Mickey Cucchiella,and music from DJ Kopec. Tickets: $119, VIP: $164 (and going up).
- New Year's Eve at Ottobar: The Ottobar is taking its two biggest dance parties and combining them on New Year's Eve. For the first half of the night (8 p.m.-midnight), DJ Craig Boarman spins a mix of Madonna, Prince, Michael Jackson, Lady Gaga, and Britney Spears. For the second half (midnight-4 a.m.), DJs Simon Phoenix and Cullen Stalin spin a TaxLo mix of indie, elecro, hip-hop, and club music. Buffet food and no cover after 1 a.m. Tickets: $10.
- New Year's Eve Spectacular at Ram's Head Live: After a whirlwind tour to promote their new album, southern rockers J. Roddy Walston and the Business are headlining this year's show at Rams Head Live, with openers Beard, Mickey Free, and Alto Verde. The show is $20 with a complimentary Fordham Beer Tasting at midnight.
- The 8x10 Club: Electronic three-piece Damn Right! (who I wrote about playing Artscape) is headlining the 8x10's New Year's show. Also on stage is Shook with their brand of soulful pop, and Marmoset & Nuemann. Champagne toast at midnight. Tickets: $23 at the door.
One of the best parts? The MillerCoors brewing company is giving $25,000 to the Maryland Transit Administration to provide free rides on bus routes, light rail, and the Metro for six hours between 8 p.m. tomorrow night until 2 a.m. New Year's Day. And, per usual, Yellow Cab, AAA Mid-Atlantic and the State Highway Administration are offering Tipsy? Taxi! from midnight until 4 a.m. They will comp cab rides under $50 that are originating in the city. So, here's to a fun (and safe!) New Year!
Jess Mayhugh is the digital editor for Baltimore, where she covers nightlife, sports, food, and events.