The weather forecast for Friday — 83 degrees and sunny — couldn't be any better for the 16th Annual Bike to Work Day tomorrow in the Baltimore region.
Online registration closed Wednesday, but bicycle commuters — and would-be bike commuters — can still participate simply by showing up at one of the 11 "pit stops" located around Baltimore City, or one of seven stops in the region.
Bicycling in Baltimore — whether to work or school, for errands, shopping or recreation — got a boost last week when the city Board of Estimates approved a grant agreement with the state Department of Transportation that will move the city one step closer to establishing a bike-share program.
Also Friday: A Bike From Work Party from 5 to 8 p.m. at the Pratt Street Ale House near the Inner Harbor.
Russ Ulrich, of the Baltimore Metropolitan Council, which sponsors Bike to Work Day, said more than 1,100 people registered for the event this year, adding with the good weather forecast, he expects a lot of "ride up" participants.. More information can be found at their website here.
Most of the pit stops open at 7 a.m. and will remain open until 9 a.m., offering coffee, bagels, prizes and bike checks.
Baltimore City pit stop locations include:
- Baltimore Bicycle Works (1813 Falls Road)
- Baltimore City Health Department (1001 E. Fayette St.)
- Brooklyn (Bambeco at Baltic Avenue & Hanover Street)
- Harbor East (Aliceanna Street & President Street)
- Inner Harbor (McKeldin Plaza)
- Johns Hopkins University (Outside Mason Hall)
- Johns Hopkins Medical Institutes, Armstrong Building (1500 block E. Monument St.)
- Joe’s Bike Shop, Mt. Washington (5813 Falls Road)
- McHenry Row (1400 Whetstone Way)
- MD State Highway Administration (Guilford Avenue & Madison Street)
- University of Maryland Medical Center (Lombard & Greene Streets)
Other pit stops in the region:
- Annapolis (City Dock, 7 to 9 a.m.)
- Bel Air (Harford County Govt Admin Building, 7 to 9 a.m.)
- Catonsville (Santa's House @ Catonsville Fire Dept)
- Columbia (The Mall in Columbia, 7 to 9 a.m.)
- Towson (Towson Courthouse, 7 to 9 a.m.)
- Westminster (Carroll County office building, 12 to 1 p.m.)
- White Marsh (CCBC to IKEA, 8:30 to 10 a.m.)