1. The Ambassador Dining Room, 3811 Canterbury Rd., 410-366-1484. Considered one of the most romantic restaurants in Baltimore, The Ambassador scores high with its stately fireplaces, tuxedoed waiters, and its lush Indian cuisine.
2. Bond Street Social, 901 S. Bond St., 443-449-6234. Several glass fireplaces and an indoor fire pit provide a toasty atmosphere for sharing “social” plates with friends and lovers at this contemporary space that’s as cozy as a ski chalet.
3. The Grille at Peerce’s, 12460 Dulaney Valley Rd., Phoenix, 410-252-7111. For the legions of suburbanites who have celebrated special occasions at the long-running Peerce’s Plantation, the opening of The Grille at Peerce’s a few years ago was a nostalgic event. The five working fireplaces just add to the allure.
4. The Milton Inn, 14833 York Rd., Sparks, 410-771-4366. There’s a lot of charm in this historic building, and five fireplaces fuel the ambiance. Four dining rooms have gas fireplaces. If you’re looking for the real deal, ask to be seated in the Hearth Room, where flames flicker off the seasoned logs.
5. Tark’s Grill at the Station, 2360 W. Joppa Rd., Green Spring Station, Lutherville, 410-583-TARK. The dining rooms and bar at Tark’s Grill have a lot of style, but don’t miss the fireplace on the patio, which casts a cheerful, warming glow. It’s a great place to hang out until the winter winds chase you indoors.