Just look at the increasing number of vans taking to the streets with all manner of cuisine. We like the variety, but we always find ourselves going back to these road warriors.
1. Gypsy Queen Cafe: The Queen is royalty, indeed, winning first place and the Mayor’s Cup in the throwdown between Baltimore and D.C. food trucks at “A Taste of Two Cities” last summer. No wonder. With items like a mac-and-cheese cone with crumbled “bacon” bling and a “Pig Out” cone with pulled pork layered over French fries, the menu befits the talents of chef/owners Annmarie Langton and Tom Looney, formerly of Helen’s Garden. There’s a big Gypsy truck and a “lil’” one to satisfy your appetite. Schedule: gypsyqueencafe.com; Twitter: @thegypsytruck.
2. Kooper’s Chowhound Burger Wagon: This mobile offshoot of Kooper’s Tavern serves the restaurant’s delicious and well-known beef, bison, turkey, and veggie burgers. The Burger Wagon kicked off Baltimore’s food-truck craze in 2009. Schedule: kooperschowhound.com; Twitter: @BRGRwagon.
3. Souper Freaks: Owner Irene Smith presents an ever-changing menu of homemade soups, sandwiches, and salads. The truck won the Baltimore People’s Choice award at last summer’s “A Taste of Two Cities.” The chilled British Bloody Mary soup and Japanese edamame vichyssoise certainly get our vote. Schedule: Twitter: @SouperFreaky.
4. Miss Shirley’s Food Truck: The popular breakfast-and-lunch restaurant took on its own set of wheels in 2011 and serves a selection of Southern-inspired menu favorites, like blueberry pancakes, fried green tomatoes, sweet-potato fries, and a trio of lunch sliders. Schedule: Facebook: Miss Shirley’s Food Truck; Twitter: @MissShirleys.
5. IcedGems Baking: You’re guaranteed to see a line in front of IcedGems as people seek to indulge in the truck’s array of creative cupcakes. The two white vans with pink polka dots stocks basics like vanilla, chocolate, and red velvet, but you have to check out specialty creations like the Key West, lemon tang, and PB&J cupcakes. Schedule: icedgemsbaking.com; Twitter: @icedgemsbaking.