Pickled Jerusalem Artichokes
- 1 pound Jerusalem artichokes
- 5 arbol chilies
- 1 tablespoon dried ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon white pepper, ground
- 2 tablespoons turmeric
- 1 head garlic, cut in half
- 4 cups apple-cider vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- Place all ingredients in a pot and bring to a boil for five minutes.
- Drain artichokes, saving liquid. Peel artichokes and place them in a plastic container. Pour reserved liquid over artichokes, and let sit in refrigerator overnight.
- Eat like pickles, or slice and add to salads for a crunch.
—Recipe courtesy of chef John Manolatos, Cashion’s Eat Place, Washington, D.C.