Whole Foods ranked No. 1 in health.com’s list of healthiest grocery stores among the nation’s largest chains. The website asked six health experts, including registered dietitians, a doctor, and a Ph.D., to pick the stores that delivered the healthiest food.
Here are their choices:
1. Whole Foods: 279 stores in 38 states and Washington, D.C. (Here’s a deal: At the Whole Foods stores in Harbor East, pictured, and Mt. Washington, satsuma mandarins are on sale Friday for 69 cents a pound. Normally, this seasonal fruit is $2.99 a pound.)
2. Safeway: 1,700-plus stores nationwide.
3. Harris Teeter: 176 stores in the Southeast.
4. Trader Joe’s: 300-plus stores in 23 states and Washington, D.C.
5. Hannaford: 165-plus stores in the Northeast.
6. Albertsons: 529 stores in the West, owned by SuperValu.
7. Food Lion: 1,300 stores in the Southeast and Mid-Atlantic.
8. Publix: 952 stores in the Southeast.
9. Pathmark: 141 stores in the Mid-Atlantic.
10. SuperTarget: 239 stores in 21 states, primarily Texas and Florida.