Here’s the kind of useless exercise that only a true film dork with way too much free time on her hands could accomplish: I’ve listed all 36 of Woody Allen’s theatrical films (okay, there are actually 38, but I’ve never seen Cassandra’s Dream or Love and Death) and ranked them from best to worst.
I encourage you all to agree or disagree, call me names, rage against the very nature of our list-obsessed society, and express intense anger at my profound overestimation of Husbands and Wives and clueless underestimation of Match Point. But one thing you can never do is make me waver on number 1. Not only is Manhattan my favorite Woody Allen film, it is quite possibly my favorite film of all time.
1. Manhattan (1979)
2. Hannah and Her Sisters (1986)
3. Annie Hall (1977)
4. Husbands and Wives (1992)
5. Crimes and Misdemeanors (1989)
6. Vicky Cristina Barcelona (2008)
7. Take the Money and Run (1969)
8. The Purple Rose of Cairo (1985)
9. Everyone Says I Love You (1996)
10. Zelig (1983)
11. Sleeper (1973)...