Equal parts Prince, D'Angelo, and Baltimore Club.
05. The National: High Violet (4AD)
04. Chocolate Genius Inc: Swansongs (One Little Indian)
03. Grinderman: Grinderman 2 (Anti-)
02. Sufjan Stevens: Age of Adz (Asthmatic Kitty)
10. Galactic: Ya-Ka-May (Anti-)
09. Marc Ribot: Silent Movies (Pi)
08. The Roots: How I Got Over (Def Jam)
07. Beach House: Teen Dream (Sub Pop)
06. Wingless Angels: Volume II (...
15. Jamey Johnson: The Guitar Song (Mercury)
14. Flying Lotus: Cosmogramma (Warp)
13. Arcade Fire: The Suburbs (Merge)
12. Dustin Wong: Infinite Love (Thrill Jockey)
11. Janelle Monae...
20. South Memphis String Band: Home Sweet Home (Memphis Int’l)
19. Gotan Project: Tango 3.0 (XL)
18. J. Roddy Walston and The Business: J. Roddy Walston and The Business (Vagrant)
25. Gil Scott-Heron: I’m New Here (XL)
24. Lower Dens: Twin-Hand Movement (Gnomonsongs)
23. Robert McDuffie/Marin Alsop/London Philharmonic: Philip Glass Violin Concerto No. 2 (Orange...
30. Mavis Staples: You Are Not Alone (Anti-)
29. Deerhunter: Halcyon Digest (4AD)
28. Laurie Anderson: Homeland (Nonesuch)
27. Axel Krygier: Pesebre (Crammed)
26. Dean & Britta:...
Howard Markman has just released this delightfully silly video for "Welcome to Smalltimore," the title track off his latest CD. It's a hoot, and the song's catchy enough to be something of a...
What piece of art changed your life? How did it affect you?
I was motivated a lot by watching Missy Elliott videos. Living in the city is hard, and there's no hope, but she made me feel...
Thinking about Larry Scott recently—he would have turned 52 on July 9—I visited the blog for Blood on the Wall$, Barry Michael Cooper's 2005 film starring the late artist. The film, shot mostly in...